Tuesday, August 24, 2010

I'm next to the guy in the Hawaiian Shirt...



After spending 4 years in Vegas in the timeshare business I've grown a strong dislike for the tourist. So moving to Hawaii seemed to be the perfect place to "get away" right?? But the brand new white sneakers, fanny packs, and mardi gras beads of Vegas have only been replaced by Hawaiian floral clothing, shell jewelry, and leis (often you'll find that couples/families find a fun matching theme - as demonstrated below by my favorite luau family)

**It may appear that that my dress is hawaiianish - but I assure it is NOT - and furthermore, I'm only wearing a shell necklace b/c it was given to me at the start of the Luau and it would be rude for me to take it off. Anyways, you gotta love the "take a picture of me but we're really taking a picture of you" photography style ;)

Since our week at the beachfront resort - my husband and I have taken a step closer to the real world here in Hawaii...only to discover that the Hawaiian Prints are NOT just for the tourist. THEY. ARE. EVERYWHERE.! Even the cashiers, stockers, and baggers at our local commissary are in Hawaiian shirts. I just want to know why.

In the meantime, I'll continue to be a smart ass with my husband when we get separated out and about and he calls looking for me - "I'm next to the guy in he Hawaiian shirt..."

So how do you tell a tourist apart from a "local"?? SUNBURN - the super bright red painful looking sunborn set off by the super bright white skin your bathing suit was covering.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Dustin really put on some weight since he's been there. I guess that's what drinking mai tais all day will do to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am dying. You're in tourist hell.

    ReplyDelete